Vegan Coffee Cake (Delicious!!!)
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance butter
- 1 cup turbinado (raw) sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup Earth Balance Organic Soy Egg Nog
- 1/3 cup non-dairy sour cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (aluminum-free)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance soy milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
1. In small cup or bowl, combine ground flax seed and water to make one “flax egg”. Set aside.
2. In large bowl, cream together Earth Balance butter and sugar using electric beaters.
3. Beat in the vanilla, soy egg nog, sour cream and “flax egg”, mixing until smooth.
4. Using a large mixing spoon or beaters on the lowest setting, mix in flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg, combining until thoroughly combined.
5. For the filling: in medium bowl or food processor, combine chopped pecans, cinnamon and brown sugar.
6. Spray a 8-9” cake pan or 9” x 5” loaf pan with non-stick spray.
7. Spread 1/4 of the batter on the bottom of the pan.
8. Evenly sprinkle all of the filling onto the batter that’s in the pan.
9. Pour the remaining 3/4 batter on top of the filling in the pan, smoothing it out on top.
10. Bake in 325F oven for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
11. For the icing: mix together Earth Balance soy milk and powdered sugar until smooth.
12. Once cake is done baking, remove from oven and let cool, drizzling the icing on top while it’s still warm.
Tracy just made this recipe today and it was AWESOME. This is the BEST vegan desert he’s made so far. It tastes very rich, with a crunchy sugar cinnamon base. I recommend that you start with a small slice, or you might get overwhelmed. :)
Source: Made Just Right by Earth Balance; recipe by Sarah Creighton (veggie-kids.blogspot.com)